Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Freeport

Carbon Monoxide detector connected to a North ...Image via WikipediaCarbon monoxide that seeped out from a faulty heating system at La Mar Plastic Packaging on Tuesday December 28, 2010 sent dozens of people to the hospital - two with serious injuries - Nassau County fire and village officials said.  La Mar Plastic Packaging located at 216 N. Main St. in Freeport, called Freeport Firefighters about 10:30 a.m., and rescuers evacuated dozens of people complaining of headaches, dizziness and nausea from the structure, said Vincent McManus, a district supervisor for the Nassau fire marshal's office.
After a preliminary investigation, fire officials, members of the Freeport Building Department and the county's hazardous materials team determined that the deadly gas came from hanging gas-fired heaters in the building, McManus said.
Mark Stuparich, an assistant chief for the Freeport Fire Department, said it was unlikely the building was equipped with a carbon-monoxide detector. "The thing would have been going off all morning," he said.  Assistant Chief Stuparich said readings of indoor air showed upward of 500 parts per million (ppm) of carbon monoxide.  According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), normal indoor levels are 5 ppm or less.  According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the permissible exposure limit is 50 parts per million or less in an eight-hour period.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: